Here are a few pointers on how to increase your car’s fuel economy this summer. Follow these 7 handy tips to improve efficiency and get the best mpg from your car:
- Remove Weight: Remove excess weight, the heavier the car, the more fuel it will use. Take unnecessary bulky items out of the car. Also remove external carrying kit such as roof boxes or bike racks whenever they aren’t being used. The car has to work harder to cut through the air due to the extra wind resistance such items create.
- Use Cruise Control: It can be tough in the city, but when you hit the open road, cruise control will keep your car at a constant speed and avoid any unnecessary acceleration that can waste gas.
- Avoid Rough Roads: Dirt or gravel can rob you of up to 30 % of your gas mileage. Every time the wheels bounce up and down, forward motion energy is removed from the vehicle, the vehicle slows down from the transfer of energy, and this causes the driver to apply more throttle – wasted fuel.
- Don’t Accelerate Too Quick: Quick acceleration and heavy braking can reduce fuel economy by up to 33% on the highway and 5% around town. Simply put, the harder you put your boot down on the gas pedal, the more fuel your engine will use. Also, the higher your engine is running in RPMs, the more fuel it is consuming per second.
- Roll Up Your Windows: If you’re cruising on the highway with the windows down, you will cause an aerodynamic drag that can decrease your fuel economy by 10% because your engine will have to work harder.
- Don’t Let Your Vehicle Idle: During start-up, your engine burns a little extra gasoline. However, letting your engine idle for more than a minute burns more fuel than turning off the engine and restarting it.
- Properly Inflate Tires: Make sure your tires are inflated to the pressure indicated in your owner’s manual for the best balance between gas mileage and traction. This will translate into significant savings, as being under-inflated by 10 PSI per tire can cost you five MPG or more.
FINAL RECOMMENDATIONS: There is plenty you can do to increase your gas mileage, and using these tips will help you save a lot of money. Keep in mind that taking your car in for regular checkups and tuneups can also save you a great deal of money. A car that doesn’t run at its optimum performance level can cost you a lot in the long run.
At Royal Motors we are more than happy to inspect your vehicle and help you understand what you can do to you improve your MPGs. Stop by or call us at 407.201.7950 to set up an appointment today!